*This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Thought you already knew all there is to know about dogs? You may surprised! Check out our favorite facts we didn’t know.
1. A one year old dog has the same physical maturity as a fifteen year old human
Dogs physical maturity of course varies on size and breed as well, and large dogs age faster than small dogs.
2. Whiskers help your dog “see” in the dark
The whiskers on your dogs face actually can pick up on subtle changes in the air, which helps your dogs senses.
3. The length of your dogs face can suggest how long their life will be
It has been shown that a long face means a longer life for a dog.
4. Dogs’ wet noses actually help their sense of smell
The damp nose of a dog helps them pick up on scent chemicals in the air.
5. More than half of all U.S. Presidents have owned dogs
This even goes all the way back to the first U.S. President, George Washington.
6. Kicking backwards after using the bathroom isn’t just to cover it up
Kicking backwards like that is actually a way of spreading their scent and marking their territory.
7. Every dog has a unique nose-print
Much like fingerprints on humans, dogs nose-prints are all different.
8. The U.S. has the highest number of dogs in the world
There are approximately 75.8 million pet dogs in the United States.