Table of Contents
*This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Genes determine everything about your dog, from the color of his eyes to thickness of his toenails. We have seen so many different shades and markings of JRT’s that is almost impossible to specifically name them. But we can all agree that they are beautiful no matter what kind of markings or spots they have. They are all special in their own way.
JRT Coat Colors
The Jack Russell can be found in a relatively large assortment of color variants, although they all contain white. Jack Russell coats are based around the colors of white, black and tan, although the “tan” part can encompass a wide range of different shades.
The common Jack Russell Terrier coat colors are:
- Tricolor, which is white with patches of both tan and black
- Tan and white, a mainly white dog with patches of tan
- Black and white, a mainly white dog with black patches
- Sable tan and white
- Lemon tan and white
- Red tan and white
- Sable tan, black and white tricolor
- Lemon tan, black and white tricolor
- Red tan, black and white tricolor
The distribution of the color pattern on the body and face is known as the dog’s markings, and no two JRT’s look exactly alike! This is a fairly rare trait in purebred dogs, as most dog breeds have a relatively limited range of permissible markings and marking distribution over the body.
Some of the most common Jack Russell markings are:
- A patch eye, with tan or black over one eye on an otherwise white face
- A patch ear, with a colored ear but white face
- A mask, where the head is tan or black and the rest of the body is white
- A mask with a blaze, where the head is tan or black but with a white stripe along it around the middle of the face
- Saddle markings, where the dog’s white body has a color patch around the back and sides similar to the position of a saddle
The JRT is one of the most popular small dog breeds around the world. And these plucky, bold little terriers are instantly recognizable to most dog lovers! However, even within the simple breed grouping of the Jack Russell, a significant amount of variation is permitted in terms of the different coat colors, patterns and types available.
Added to this, a lot of other small terrier breeds share some common ancestry with the Jack Russell, and it can be difficult for people who are not incredibly well versed in the differences between different types of terriers to tell the different breeds apart! Hope this article can help you distinguish the differences!